End-User License Agreement
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: This End User License Agreement (“EULA”) is a legal agreement between you and Upwork Global Inc. and its affiliates (“Upwork”, “we”, or “us”). This EULA governs your use of the Upwork software and any third party software that may be distributed therewith (collectively the “Software”). Upwork agrees to license the Software to you (personally and/or on behalf of your employer) (collectively “you” or “your”) only if you accept all the terms contained in this EULA. By installing, using, copying, or distributing all or any portion of the software, you accept and agree to be bound by all of the terms and conditions of this EULA. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ANY OF THE TERMS OF THIS EULA, DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL, OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
1. CONDITIONAL LICENSE
1. License Grant: Subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions of this EULA, Upwork grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable right to use the executable code version of the Software for your use solely in connection with work you perform on or through the Site.
2. Restrictions on Use: You agree not to modify, display, adapt, translate, loan, distribute, prepare derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the Software. You may not publish, redistribute, sublicense or sell the Software or any information or material associated with the Software. You may not rent, lease or otherwise transfer your rights to the Software. You may not use the Software in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the Site, nor may you use the Software in any manner that could interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Site. You agree that you will use the Software for lawful purposes and only in compliance with all applicable laws, including but not limited to copyright and other intellectual property laws. In addition, you shall not perform, nor release the results of any testing of the Software to any third party without the prior written consent of Upwork. You also agree not to remove, obscure, or alter any copyright notice, trademarks or other proprietary rights notices contained within or accessed in conjunction with or through the Software.
3. Intellectual Property Rights: The Software is licensed, not sold, to you for use pursuant to the terms of this EULA. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved to Upwork or its licensors or third party providers. You acknowledge that Upwork or its licensors or third party providers own all rights, title and interest, including without limitation all Intellectual Property Rights, in and to the Software, portions thereof, or any information or material provided through or in conjunction with the Software. Your rights to use the Software shall be limited to those expressly granted in this Section 1. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by Upwork, its licensors or third party providers. “Intellectual Property Rights” means all patent rights, copyright rights, mask work rights, moral rights, rights of publicity, trademark, trade dress and service mark rights, goodwill, trade secret rights and other intellectual property rights as may now exist or hereafter come into existence, and all other proprietary rights, and all applications, registrations, renewals, extensions and restorations thereof, now or hereafter in force and effect worldwide.
2. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
1. “As Is”; No Warranty: THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY UPWORK AND ANY OF OUR LICENSORS OR OUR THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS “AS IS,” WITH NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER. UPWORK EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED, AND STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. COMPUTER PROGRAMS ARE INHERENTLY COMPLEX, AND THE SOFTWARE MAY NOT BE FREE OF ERRORS. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED WITH ALL FAULTS AND THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU. UPWORK DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES REGARDING THE SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU DOWNLOAD AND USE THE SOFTWARE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF THE SOFTWARE.
2. Privacy Disclaimer: TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, UPWORK DISCLAIMS LIABILITY IN THE EVENT OF THE UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR MISAPPROPRIATION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OR PRIVATE COMMUNICATIONS BY THIRD PARTIES.
3. Jurisdictional Limitations: SOME STATES OR OTHER JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN JURISDICTIONS WHICH DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO NINETY (90) DAYS FROM THE DATE OF DELIVERY OF THE SOFTWARE OR TO THE MINIMUM PRESCRIBED BY LAW. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM STATE TO STATE AND JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
4. Survival of Disclaimer: The provisions of this Section 2 and of Section 3 shall survive the termination of this EULA, but this shall not imply or create any continued right to use the Software after termination of this EULA.
3. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
1. Limitation of Liability: IN NO EVENT AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL UPWORK, OUR LICENSORS OR OUR THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS BE LIABLE TO ANY USER ON ACCOUNT OF THAT USER’S USE OR MISUSE OF THE SOFTWARE. SUCH LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO PREVENT RECOVERY OF INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY AND PUNITIVE DAMAGES, WHETHER SUCH CLAIM IS BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE (EVEN IF UPWORK HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES). SUCH LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARISE FROM USE OR MISUSE OF AND RELIANCE ON THE SOFTWARE, FROM THE PERFORMANCE OR MISPERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE, FROM INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, OR FROM THE INTERRUPTION, SUSPENSION OR TERMINATION OF THE SOFTWARE (INCLUDING SUCH DAMAGES INCURRED BY THIRD PARTIES). SUCH LIMITATION SHALL APPLY NOTWITHSTANDING A FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. SOME STATES OR OTHER JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
2. Damages Cap: EXCEPT AS LIMITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, REGARDLESS OF THE BASIS FOR YOUR CLAIM, UPWORK’S, LICENSORS’ AND THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS’ TOTAL LIABILITY UNDER THIS EULA SHALL BE LIMITED TO DIRECT DAMAGES WHICH SHALL NOT EXCEED THE AMOUNT OF FEES PAID FOR THE LICENSED SOFTWARE GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM, OR ONE U.S. DOLLAR ($1.00), WHICHEVER IS LESS. THESE LIMITATIONS SHALL APPLY NOTWITHSTANDING THE FAILURE OF THE ESSENTIAL PURPOSE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY. THE FOREGOING PROVISIONS SHALL CONSTITUTE THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR MONETARY DAMAGES IN RESPECT OF ANY BREACH OF OR DEFAULT UNDER THIS AGREEMENT BY UPWORK.
4. INDEMNIFICATION. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Upwork and its subsidiaries, affiliates, joint ventures, suppliers, officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents, from any claim or demand made by any third party due to or arising directly or indirectly out of your conduct or in connection with your use of the Software or its features, any alleged violation of these terms, or any alleged violation of any applicable law or regulation. Upwork reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by You, but doing so shall not excuse your indemnity obligations.
5. PRIVACY AND SECURITY. The Software creates a means for others to record the visual output (“Screenshot”) of your computer. You hereby acknowledge and agree that each time you activate the Software, the Software may periodically transmit Screenshots to Upwork. These Screenshots may be displayed in the Upwork work diary when the Screenshot is captured. These Screenshots may include, without limitation, the visual output of all open programs, windows, backgrounds, taskbars, system trays, multiple screens, title bars, menus, graphics, screen savers, and any information, images, and text therein. You acknowledge and agree that, if your confidential information is displayed as visual output of your computer while the Software is active, such confidential information may be included in a Screenshot, transmitted to Upwork, and displayed in the applicable work diary. In order to prevent transmission of your confidential information to Upwork, you agree not to access your confidential information while the Software is active. Although we have taken reasonable measures to prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your computer via the Software, we cannot foresee or control the actions of third parties. Therefore, use of the Software could make you vulnerable to security breaches that you might not otherwise face and could result in the loss of your privacy or property. You agree that Upwork is not liable to you for security breaches resulting from your use of the Software or otherwise.
6. NO NOTICE OF UPDATES. Upwork reserves the right to modify or change this EULA from time to time without notice to You. The latest version will be available on the Site. Upwork also may update or modify the Software from time to time at its discretion. Your election to continue use of the Software, after the date of posting of these modifications to the EULA or to the Software constitutes acceptance of those modifications. If you do not agree with the modifications, do not use the Software.
7. EXPORT CONTROLS. You are responsible for complying with trade regulations and both foreign and domestic laws. You acknowledge that the Software or its underlying technology may not be downloaded to or exported or re-exported: (a) into (or to a resident or national of) Cuba, Iraq, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria or any other country subject to United States embargo; (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or on the U.S. Commerce Department’s Denied Party or Entity List; and (c) you will not export or re-export the Software to any prohibited country, person, end-user or entity specified by U.S. Export Laws.
8. TERM AND TERMINATION:
1. Termination: This EULA is effective as soon as you install, use, copy or distribute the Software and shall continue until it is terminated by Upwork or you, as provided for under the terms of this Section. Unless otherwise agreed to in writing with us, either you or we may terminate the contractual agreement represented by this EULA at any time upon notice to the other party. This EULA, including without limitation your right to the Software as specified in Section 1, terminates immediately and without notice from Upwork if you fail to comply with any of its provisions. Upon termination you shall immediately discontinue use of and destroy the Software and all copies or portions thereof, including any master copy, and within ten (10) days certify in writing to Upwork that all copies have been destroyed.
2. Survival of Termination: Sections 1.3, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8.2 and 9 of these terms will survive any termination of this EULA. The termination of this EULA does not limit Upwork’s other rights it may have by law.
9. MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS.
1. Severance. Waiver: If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision or portion of this EULA to be unenforceable, it shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible, and the remaining provisions shall remain in full force.
2. Audit. You agree that, on Upwork’s request, you will certify in writing your compliance with the terms of this EULA.
3. Assignment. You may not assign this EULA or sublicense, assign, transfer or delegate any right or duty hereunder, without the prior written consent of Upwork, at our sole discretion. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Upwork may assign or transfer this EULA or any rights granted hereunder without your prior consent. This EULA is binding on and will inure to the benefit of the parties successors and permitted assigns.
4. Entire Agreement. This EULA and the terms expressly incorporated by reference herein, constitute the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersede and replace all prior or contemporaneous understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding such subject matter.