Package Details: acroread 9.5.5-6

Git Clone URL: (read-only)
Package Base: acroread
Description: Adobe Reader is a PDF file viewer
Upstream URL:
Licenses: custom
Submitter: None
Maintainer: fordprefect
Last Packager: fordprefect
Votes: 808
Popularity: 4.995080
First Submitted: 2008-05-15 19:18
Last Updated: 2016-05-18 09:28

Pinned Comments

fordprefect commented on 2016-05-17 19:35

There are reports about this software dying after 15s again.
known workarounds:
• use another pdf-reader whereever possible
• use acroread windows version in wine (HowTo:
• remove /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/plug_ins/EFS.api (this might have unknown consequences regarding your data and software functionality, especially related to internet connectivity)
• comment out the ipv6 line (::1) in /etc/hosts (this might impair your ipv6 connectivity and functionality of locally communicating programs)

This package *is not* out-of-date, it serves outdated software.

Latest Comments

fordprefect commented on 2016-07-04 14:20

@c3924754: thank you for providing an automated workaround. much appreciated.
because of personal reasons (rl that sucker) investigation stalled at some point with libxcb/gcc6, i do not expect them to go forward before end of july. i'm sorry but cannot do too much about it. if anyone likes to investigate on my behalf feel free to contact me.

c3924754 commented on 2016-07-04 14:15

New version. To be perfectly clear (and I'm sorry I wasn't before) this little trick I created just helps address the problem people have with commenting the IPV6 line, as in, it just applies the workaround described in the 4th point of fordprefect's pinned comment and then procedes to undo it so you don't have any connectivity problems.

Quoting for reference: "comment out the ipv6 line (::1) in /etc/hosts (this might impair your ipv6 connectivity and functionality of locally communicating programs)"

If my script does not work it is possible that you are suffering from another problem and this workaround does not apply to your case. The script is now more verbose and checks for a running instance first. Give it a try either way. Again, this comments the IPV6 address, launches Reader and then uncomments for other applications to be able to use it.
If you have problems with this script please first try to edit your hosts file yourself and see if the workaround works for you.

Usage (cli): Let's say you have a PDF file in your home directory. ~/file.pdf

I suggest you use it in an application chooser via GUI, try to add the script to your 'Open with...' dialog in your DE/WM/File manager.

DrMartinus commented on 2016-06-22 16:41

@c3924754 - you are right, I didn't try it with sudo and didn't have "notify-send" installed. I did that now. The script runs through, but acroread isn't even opened. I set the sleep to 30, no luck.

sfranchi commented on 2016-06-19 22:25

@c3924754: I tried the script and it does not work for me.

I am now able to open files, but acroread still crashes within one minute

sfranchi commented on 2016-06-19 22:19

@fordprefect: Sorry for the late reply: yes I´m on x86_64 as well

c3924754 commented on 2016-06-16 13:31

@DrMartinus: What seems to be the problem with the script? Do you have every dependecy I talked about? Maybe try to increase the sleep value i.e. 25.

fordprefect commented on 2016-06-16 12:02

@DrMartinus: i know what you mean, we all need acroread for one or the other reason. PSO provided a solution that works for him (including some i686 files from the repo), but i was not yet able to reproduce and shape into final workaround. sadly this is not happening in the next week either since i am on vacation.
nevertheless you may fear not. use the workarounds for the time beeing (EFS.api is definitely not needed for printing) and you will notice when there is enough progress to show for you to test. this is definitely not given up by now.

tl;dr: working on it, but wont come tomorrow.

DrMartinus commented on 2016-06-16 11:52

still no fun. The script provided by c3924754 doesn't help either. I need the acrobat reader, or better open source pdf-readers. Only the acrobat reader provides a variety of printing options, which is vital to my work. Okular, evince and consorts don't provide that variety, or do not even accept the default settings from CUPS, which makes handling pdf documents quite awkward.
Sorry for the lament, I just think that there must be something else wrong besides the workarounds mentioned (which don't work for me).

c3924754 commented on 2016-06-12 00:16
I tried and made a script (read terrible hack) if it helps anyone out. This way it minimizes the connectivity impairment fordprefect talks about (I think?). It comments the IPV6 address, launches reader, waits for it to read the hosts file and then uncomments it again. Adjust sleep time accordingly. Works from the terminal or GUI, it depends on sudo/gksu to ask for permission to edit the hosts file and notify-send for "logging". Usage: <file you want to read>. You can tell "Open with" dialogs to use it for example and no more crashes :)

PS0 commented on 2016-06-10 14:04

I've done some debugging and the problem seems to be a stack misalignment. Acroread uses 4 byte stack alignment where lib32-glibc requires 16 byte stack alignment, which can cause some instructions (like MOVAPS) to fail. To solve this, you would need to rebuild Adobe reader from source with a different alignment or build a limited version of lib32-glibc and include this in the acroread package. Both options seem unrealistic to me.

All comments