Package Details: bb 1.3rc1-15

Git Clone URL: https://aur.archlinux.org/bb.git (read-only, click to copy)
Package Base: bb
Description: ASCII-art demo that uses AAlib
Upstream URL: http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/bb/
Licenses: GPL
Submitter: lucaswerkmeister
Maintainer: lucaswerkmeister (forcegk)
Last Packager: lucaswerkmeister
Votes: 21
Popularity: 0.078428
First Submitted: 2015-08-12 12:16 (UTC)
Last Updated: 2022-04-04 19:11 (UTC)

Latest Comments

lucaswerkmeister commented on 2022-04-04 19:12 (UTC)

Thanks – I only have xorg-fonts-encodings and xorg-fonts-misc installed from that list (pacman -Q xorg-{font-util,fonts-{100dpi,75dpi,alias,encodings,misc,type1},mkfontscale}), and bb seems to work on my end, so I’m assuming xorg-fonts-encodings is the important package (apart from xorg-fonts-misc, which is already a dependency). I’ve added it, let’s see if it helps…

produnis commented on 2022-04-04 19:05 (UTC)

I installed these packages:

xorg-font-util xorg-fonts-100dpi xorg-fonts-75dpi xorg-fonts-alias xorg-fonts-encodings xorg-fonts-misc xorg-fonts-type1 xorg-mkfontscale

and rebooted my system. After that, bb runs well and the X_OpenFont-error is gone.

lucaswerkmeister commented on 2021-11-29 21:54 (UTC)

Strange, it still works on my system. Maybe you can strace the program to figure out which font it’s trying to load?

giovariot commented on 2021-11-28 18:14 (UTC)

This happens when I try to run it:

X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  7
  Current serial number in output stream:  8

Changing xorg-fonts-misc with other versions from the AUR doesn't really solver the problem unfortunately

lucaswerkmeister commented on 2021-01-09 11:49 (UTC)

@pancho thanks, added the dependency now.

pancho commented on 2020-08-02 04:55 (UTC) (edited on 2020-08-02 05:12 (UTC) by pancho)

Thanks, @lukaswerkmeister! (and roger -p1)

BTW, this happens to me when I try to run it:

$ bb # or bb -font X8x16
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  9
  Current serial number in output stream:  10

I've traced the default font to src/ui/ui-drv/x11/ui_x11.c L519 to "fixed", which seems available in my system.

Any idea of what did I get wrong? TIA.

EDIT: Only after writing this query did I read the previous report and proposed fix.

So, I suggest adding xorg-fonts-misc to the depends array, which fixes the issue for me (X needs restarting, though).

Sorry for the noise.

lucaswerkmeister commented on 2020-07-31 21:24 (UTC)

@pancho Thanks, I updated the PKGBUILD accordingly. (The patches are applied with -p1, so they didn’t need updating, just the PKGBUILD itself.)

pancho commented on 2020-07-31 06:41 (UTC) (edited on 2020-07-31 06:41 (UTC) by pancho)

Hi! SourceForge no longer hosts this project, and thus it can no longer be built. I see from the comments that updating to xaos 4.x is not trivial, so let me suggest that, for the time being, we keep being based on xaos 3.5, which can be obtained from github: https://github.com/xaos-project/XaoS/archive/release-3.5.tar.gz

CAVEAT PACKAGER :-) the base directory of the tar file is no longer xaos-3.5 but instead XaoS-release-3.5, so either the patches need updating, or a hackish mv is required...

Thanks!

lucaswerkmeister commented on 2020-07-25 16:40 (UTC)

@undevdecatos: the PKGBUILD copies xaos’ src/util/timers.c, but in xaos 4.0, that file became timers.cpp, so I’m not sure how to make that work (nothing in the bb Makefile seems prepared for C++ sources). If you figure it out, feel free to send a patch…

VxlerieUwU commented on 2020-05-28 14:35 (UTC)

please update xaos: https://github.com/xaos-project/XaoS/archive/release-4.0.tar.gz

forcegk commented on 2019-12-10 12:40 (UTC)

@parkerlreed For fixing that you can either install aview and/or xfonts (still need to verify). You could also try to run it on try before installing anything and let us know here. Anyway the program locks. I think they have it fixed on gentoo ebuild, but I am really busy this weeks and I have no time to update the package. It will soon be updated though.

parkerlreed commented on 2019-12-10 03:54 (UTC)

[parker@e55 ~]$ bb
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  7
  Current serial number in output stream:  8

lucaswerkmeister commented on 2019-11-20 11:38 (UTC)

I added you as co-maintainer, I assume that means you can push to the git repo? (I can’t find any documentation on it.)

forcegk commented on 2019-11-20 10:58 (UTC)

Hello, I know how to have it working. Could you give me Maintainer?

capitol commented on 2019-10-26 18:53 (UTC)

got this error when trying to install: https://pastebin.com/1h63VKfU

lucaswerkmeister commented on 2017-08-27 12:10 (UTC)

This package is out-of-date (Debian Stretch has version 1.3rc1-10, we’re using 1.3rc1-8.3), but I haven’t been able to update the PKGBUILD because I can’t figure out the process to get the sources (there’s no bb_1.3rc1-10.diff.gz file on the FTP server). If anyone wants to take over the package and update it, please let me know!

lucaswerkmeister commented on 2016-04-27 16:42 (UTC)

Yes, that’s a known problem between bb and PulseAudio, which is why Debian (our upstream) decided to disable music by default. Their readme (debian/README.Debian in the source tree, http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/b/bb/bb_1.3rc1-8.3_README.Debian ) contains instructions for mitigating against this, if needed.