Package Details: boostnote 0.16.1-4

Git Clone URL: https://aur.archlinux.org/boostnote.git (read-only, click to copy)
Package Base: boostnote
Description: Open source note-taking app for programmers
Upstream URL: https://boostnote.io/
Keywords: electron productivity
Licenses: GPL3
Submitter: rokt33r
Maintainer: clone1612
Last Packager: clone1612
Votes: 61
Popularity: 0.27
First Submitted: 2016-04-11 13:01
Last Updated: 2020-10-31 08:43

Pinned Comments

clone1612 commented on 2020-10-31 09:02

Due to the many issues people have been experiencing the package is now using electron v4, as that's the most recent version supported by the application.

The incompatibility issues with more recent versions run much much deeper, beyond what some simple patches can fix.

Latest Comments

« First ‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next › Last »

jcstryker commented on 2017-10-09 17:39

@clone1612

Ah that makes sense. I went ahead and blocked it anyway, but it is nice to know its purpose. Thanks for your work.

clone1612 commented on 2017-10-09 16:15

@jcstryker Thanks for the heads up. I verified it and no, it's not analytics related. It's for the bottom notification area which currently shows 'Sync Boostnote data across devices'. They send a request which return a JSON file containing the message that should be shown.

jcstryker commented on 2017-10-09 16:06

@clone1612

I am still getting a connection to 151.101.64.133 on starting the app. Is this analytics related?

clone1612 commented on 2017-10-09 12:53

Fully removed analytics again. People keep having problems with it (e.g. https://github.com/BoostIO/Boostnote/issues/939) and it's more privacy friendly this way. Much smaller package size is also a bonus.

clone1612 commented on 2017-08-10 15:45

If you have any problems with preferences being reset, please follow the instructions in https://github.com/BoostIO/Boostnote/issues/788. This release contains a bug that will be fixed when they release a new version (in the coming days) but that post contains a work-around.

EDIT: Problems should be fixed with v0.8.14

clone1612 commented on 2017-07-29 07:12

Updated to v0.8.12, thanks for the advice @NicoHood. For now I've just set tracking to false by default, like you mentioned, while I look at a clean way of removing all analytics (since they changed a bit since my previous removal patch). Should be possible but do not worry even without the removal tracking is disabled by default :)

EDIT: Removed amazon analytics once again, turned out to be easier then first expected :)
If any issues arise feel free to say so and I will look into them.

NicoHood commented on 2017-07-22 06:57

Thanks for the patch!
For the next version:
https://github.com/BoostIO/Boostnote/pull/715

Edit:
in the next version you could patch browser/main/lib/ConfigManager.js to set the tracking to false by default. I think in long term it would be complicated to fully remove it. But if you can fully remove it, that'd be better :)

clone1612 commented on 2017-07-20 06:58

@NicoHood More details in this pull request: https://github.com/BoostIO/Boostnote/commit/48ca13f82c20a04e816a263d760bab2254557801

Pushed a new package release. Found a way around the npm issue so moved back to good old npm. Also removed all of their amazon analytics, thereby also fixing the problem mentioned by @vczm. So no more analytics present which also had a great effect on the package size.

NicoHood commented on 2017-07-20 05:38

They added spy functions to boostnote? Is there any details about that? It seems I will not use Boostnote anymore with those functions.

@clone1612: We can change the source code, its GPL3. No need to ask any maker. https://github.com/BoostIO/Boostnote/blob/master/LICENSE

clone1612 commented on 2017-07-19 20:50

@vczm That's not an error I can fix. They have added amazon analytics (which are those requests) but they only add the correct key when they package for distribution (so not provided in the source code used to build the package). Unless they provide their analytics id the requests (send by the program, not something I added) will fail.

In theory the analytics could be removed but that would be really changing the source code and I have no idea if the makers would agree to that.

EDIT: Trying to get in touch with them, will see how it goes. Even if its fixed though the requests will still be send (it's their analytics) however they will no longer fail. But working on a solution.