Package Details: mestrenova 14.1.2-1

Git Clone URL: https://aur.archlinux.org/mestrenova.git (read-only, click to copy)
Package Base: mestrenova
Description: Widely used commercial NMR interpreter
Upstream URL: https://www.mestrelab.com
Keywords: mestrec mestrenova mnova
Licenses: custom:mestrelab
Submitter: 3yan
Maintainer: zandemax
Last Packager: zandemax
Votes: 1
Popularity: 0.000000
First Submitted: 2017-02-05 06:57
Last Updated: 2020-06-29 16:57

Latest Comments

3yan commented on 2020-09-08 16:22

Licensing works with user accounat.

3yan commented on 2020-06-29 18:23

Thx Zandemax for fixing it, I was not aware of this functionality at all. :) Checked against virtualized bare archlinux and seems its working. I did not tried licensing and opening spectra as I am not using NMR much at the moment, but the sw itself looks like working. I am a bit concerned about the number of errors which it prints into the CLI, hopefully it will still manage to make a secure ssl conection with the verification server.

zandemax commented on 2020-06-29 17:46

First of all, thanks to 3yan for the helpful tips and infos.

I was able to (somewhat) resolve the issue. The culprit seems to be strip, which messed up the binary. With the !strip option MestReNova works fine without segfaulting, at least in my preliminary testing. I will try to investigate this further to find out why that happens, but for now, the package should be working again :)

3yan commented on 2020-06-28 19:31

I have tried-hard today to make newer version of the package (14.1.2, 14.1.1). No success. It is segfaulting. When I tried strace or ldd I did not managed to get anywhere. Tried against Ubuntu 16, 18 and Debian 10 versions of the package, all behaves the same. After installation the MestReNova binary is in /opt/MestReNova/lib/MestReNova. Stracing that gave me more of debugging output than /usr/local/bin/mestrenova, but without any success. The segfault occurs after EULA. I want to give chance to someone, so I am orphaning the package.

For new maintainer: It would be maybe worthwhile to just try the package on the native OS first in virtualized machine, then try to transfer all the libs into archlinux enviroment and then try to pinpoint the issue and solve it. Quite laborious but probably it could lead to success.

3yan commented on 2018-05-28 03:18

Hi Khau, sorry for the long delay. I'm writing it here because I've finally got into this issue and also for the others who might be in doubt if this package is working.

Registration: works - it is not linked to the error. There were other issues which has been resolved already at 02-2017. I believe that the inability to verify the license could be caused by missing VPN to your license provider for example vpn into an university network where the license server lies). Just pure speculation. If anyone have a problem with the licensing, please let me know so I know that the issue is not resolved.

"SSLv3_client/server_method" error: I've searched for it because I was making updated version for x86_64 and wanted to "get it right" this time. This error is actually a positive one. The SSLv3 has been deprecated in the newer openssl-1.0 versions because of a fact, that it is vurneable to the POODLE attack. The mestrenova then switches to a different type of encryption, hopefully to some usable one at that time (a friend of mine will take a look at it when he'll have some spare time).

khau commented on 2017-09-28 15:16

Hello!
I was running the latest version of the package, yes (downloaded and installed the 25th of Sep.). Running off of my friend's computer, it indicated an inability to validate licenses. I'll try to get another look at the exact error in the program but I'm not sure when that would be. It turns out we only needed it for a short period of time and so I'll have to get back to this in my free time (similarly not in abundance). No other problems other than being unable to validate the license.

Thanks for the package! It's always great to find exactly the software you were looking for in the AUR.

3yan commented on 2017-09-25 09:38

Hi Khau,
I encounter same issue, but it looks like it does not have any further impact. With last update (2017-9-19) permissions for license were fixed (there was problem before to actually verify license), are you running last version?
For me it prints out this error, but licencse verification and of course Mestrenova itself is up and running including modules. I'll try to discuss it with my coleague who I believe is more educated in how to fix the problem ("qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv3_client_method" and "qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv3_server_method").

Do you encounter any further problems except this error message? (Mestrenova not starting or some issues with license server).
If not, problems look like fully reproducible and I'll try to take a look at it in free time (not much of it in last few months). Sorry for crappy quality of this package but I was actually very happy to see that I resolved all dependencies and I did not saw it anywhere so I wanted to share at least somehow working version.

khau commented on 2017-09-25 04:59

I consistently get:

`qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv3_client_method`

when running the software. As far as I could tell, it was operational for non-networked tasks. Unfortunately, I was in a rush and didn't collect any side information other than:

Arch Linux 4.12.13-1 x86_64 with both libopenssl-1.0 and libopenssl-1.0-compat. Let me know if I can provide any more information!