Package Details: v8 7.4.288.18-3

Git Clone URL: https://aur.archlinux.org/v8.git (read-only)
Package Base: v8
Description: Fast and modern Javascript engine used in Google Chrome.
Upstream URL: https://v8.dev
Keywords: dev engine javascript
Licenses: BSD
Conflicts: v8-3.14, v8-3.15, v8-3.20, v8-static-gyp, v8-static-gyp-5.4
Submitter: anatolik
Maintainer: marcs
Last Packager: marcs
Votes: 15
Popularity: 0.727901
First Submitted: 2015-07-01 16:14
Last Updated: 2019-04-10 10:06

Pinned Comments

marcs commented on 2017-06-21 11:19

Some notes:

  • Prefer yay/aurman instead of yaourt/pacaur.
  • Gclient has to download the whole V8 repo, it takes some time to complete (depending on your internet connection).
  • This package requires around 3/4 gigs of space so be sure to have a large enough /tmp partition if you use yaourt, also be aware that aurman/yay/pacaur will save this package in ~/.cache/(aurman|yay|pacaur)/v8, so be sure to have a /home partition with enough space.
  • The build and testing process takes some time, I recommend to use at least a 4 cores with 8 threads cpu, better an 8 cores 16 threads cpu.
  • If you have at least 32GB of RAM you can use a ram partition to speed up the build process (yaourt uses /tmp by default).

Latest Comments

« First ‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next › Last »

dflemstr commented on 2018-08-31 15:47

I'd like to see these patches applied: https://gist.github.com/dflemstr/2c06e81da38420d29e702c5bd3601afc

Should fix the build for many users, but the libicu issue might still exist.

thanx commented on 2018-08-30 13:21

Hi Thank you for the package, I am getting following error:

/usr/lib/v8/d8: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libv8.so: undefined symbol: _ZN6icu_618ByteSink5FlushEv

It seems like the v8 code has its own icu libraries used during compiling but these are not installed resulting in missing symbols.

Thank you.

ram commented on 2018-07-09 16:35

I'd like to avoid compiling and get this as a pre-compiled package.

thx for the work, guys ;-)

marcs commented on 2018-06-27 16:51

@oneup Thanks for the info, I hope people will find it useful. This package is more of general layout than all-in-one solution due to the complexity of V8.

oneup commented on 2018-06-17 00:02

I'm having a hard time linking against libv8.so. It seems to be due to the fact the libc++.so is located at /usr/lib/v8/libc++.so. I assume that's to not conflict with an existing libc++.so? Unfortunately that makes it difficult both to link against and to dynamically load. Even if you set up pkg-config so that the linker is able to find /usr/lib/v8/libc++.so, you'll still be unable to run the executable because the loader won't know where to find it.

I think adding an RPATH of ${ORIGIN}/v8 to libv8.so would fix the problem, but good luck figuring out how to jam it in to the v8 build process.

For other people running into this issue, you can fix it for your own project by adding -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/v8 to your link command. But ideally the libv8.so library itself should know where to find libc++.so without other projects telling the linker/loader where to find it.

marcs commented on 2018-05-28 14:20

@MallardDuck Thanks for the tip, I used your idea. It should build fine now, also package updated to the latest 6.8 version.

MallardDuck commented on 2018-05-17 02:22

Hey,

@ryanvade, @marcs, @znmeb, and anyone else with the building issues, I have a solution!

The root issue is that these scripts expect and depend on Python2 to build. Hence looking for the Python2 style urllib2. So in order to get this building right I simply did a local override; my local user's path has a ~/.bin and then I linked Python2 into that folder.

Once I did that things started working correctly for compiling. I'm gonna unlink it once the build is over, but this trick should work for others too. It's sorta documented in the Wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/python#Python_2 Start from: "Finally, you may not be able to control the script calls"

Hope that helps.

znmeb commented on 2018-04-07 08:11

Build is crashing:

__ running 'download_from_google_storage --no_resume --platform=linux* --no_auth --bucket chromium-clang-format -s v8/buildtools/linux64/clang-format.sha1' in '/d/TMPDIR/yaourt-tmp-znmeb/aur-v8/src' Failed to fetch file gs://chromium-clang-format/5349d1954e17f6ccafb6e6663b0f13cdb2bb33c8 for v8/buildtools/linux64/clang-format. [Err: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/d/TMPDIR/yaourt-tmp-znmeb/aur-v8/src/depot_tools/gsutil.py", line 20, in <module> import urllib2 ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'urllib2'</module>

marcs commented on 2018-01-08 15:22

@ryanvade I noticed, the problem seems to be with gclient, before the building process, could be related on some ongoing changes on the v8 repository.

ryanvade commented on 2018-01-03 04:27

Its currently failing to build: Failed to fetch file gs://chromium-clang-format/5349d1954e17f6ccafb6e6663b0f13cdb2bb33c8 for v8/buildtools/linux64/clang-format. [Err: [E2018-01-02T22:20:08.898896-06:00 1169 0 annotate.go:242] original error: package "infra/python/wheels/cffi/linux-amd64_cp32_abi3" is not registered