blob: 16a0ac271e058248ad688538df0fd9871c2b0c83 (plain
# Preserving your game configuration
To preserve your game config you need to copy `/usr/share/games/simutrans-extended/config/simuconf.tab` to `~/.config/simutrans-extended/simuconf.tab`. Otherwise, the original simuconf.tab file will be **overwrited** with every update.
Additionally, you can also add non-pakset files (fonts, music, etc) in `~/.config/simutrans-extended`
# Adding files in the user data directory (~/.local/share/simutrans-extended)
Files in this directory are symlinked from:
1. `/usr/share/games/simutrans-extended` (shared Simutrans Extended installation)
2. `/.local/share/simutrans` (paksets only, which are in turn symlinked from `/usr/share/games/simutrans`)
This means that the following paksets are already available here:
1. Paksets installed system-wide for Simutrans Extended.
2. Paksets installed system-wide for Simutrans Standard.
3. Paksets installed for Simutrans Standard by you in `/.local/share/simutrans`
If you already have Simutrans Standard installed you probably want to keep installing Simutrans Standard paksets in `~/.local/share/simutrans`, while installing Simutrans Extended paksets here in `~/.local/share/simutrans-extended`.
Adding paksets to these directories is the only way for non-root users to add paksets. You can also add non-pakset files (fonts, music, etc).
Symlinked files are updated everytime you open the game, so:
1. Don't worry about deleting symlinks by accident.
2. New paksets installed will be picked up automatically.
But please **don't replace symlinked files in this directory**. You will lose your replaced files when you open Simutrans! Instead, if you want, for example, to install another version of "pak64" rename it to "pak64-myversion".