Package Details: jabref 3.8.2-3

Git Clone URL: https://aur.archlinux.org/jabref.git (read-only)
Package Base: jabref
Description: GUI frontend for BibTeX, written in Java
Upstream URL: https://www.jabref.org/
Licenses: MIT
Submitter: Allan
Maintainer: Bevan
Last Packager: Bevan
Votes: 164
Popularity: 4.193243
First Submitted: 2012-06-07 22:47
Last Updated: 2017-08-23 22:26

Latest Comments

Bevan commented on 2017-08-24 08:14

koppor: Thanks for the updates! The new package release now explicitly calls java 8. I also looked into the .desktop file and the start script. The first has slightly different entries (Icon and StartupWMClass), so we cannot use it as is. But I changed the one provided by this package to be as close as possible. The start script provided here is very specific to Arch Linux as it calls archlinux-java to find out what JVM was selected by the user. So I'm not sure how valuable this is for upstream. It could be a starting point for a more universal start script that supports multiple distributions though.

koppor commented on 2017-08-18 08:26

JabRef will soon release version 4.0, which depends on JavaFX. I think, one has only to add "java-openjfx" to the list of dependencies.

The java-runtime should be set to precisely 8, as JabRef currently does not run at Java9: https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/issues/2594

koppor commented on 2017-08-18 08:24

JabRef now also tries to maintain a .desktop file. See https://github.com/JabRef/jabref/blob/master/buildres/snapcraft/jabref.desktop. Maybe, that file can be used? We can also place it somehwere else in the src tree. Maybe directly at buildres/?

The JabRef team is also often asked to provide a jabref.sh (see https://github.com/JabRef/JabFox/issues/19). Maybe, you could provide your jabref.sh as pull request to JabRef's main repository? I would propose the scripts/ folder as the location.

n-st commented on 2017-06-03 20:40

JabRef has recently had its license updated. The PKGBUILD contains the checksum of the v3.8.2 license, but downloads the license from the master branch (currently v4.x beta), so the checksum test fails.

Try this patch as a fix: http://x7f.uk/jamaxa.patch

Bevan commented on 2017-02-03 14:14

@Rhinoceros: Thanks a lot! :)

Rhinoceros commented on 2017-02-02 23:30

Thanks @Bevan. Here's a replacement to jabref.sh that works for me. It checks if java 8 is selected as the default java, and if not, reverts to your original script of selecting the alphabetically-last java. This *should* keep everyone happy! :)

#!/bin/sh

if [[ "$(archlinux-java get)" == java-8-* ]]
then
exec /usr/bin/java -jar /usr/share/java/jabref/JabRef-VERSION.jar "$@"
else
# Force usage of latest java version
JVM_PATH=$(find /usr/lib/jvm/* -maxdepth 0 -type d | sort | tail -n1)
exec $JVM_PATH/jre/bin/java -jar /usr/share/java/jabref/JabRef-VERSION.jar "$@"
fi

Bevan commented on 2017-02-02 21:37

@Rhinoceros: I guess you are right. It's difficult to find something here to make everybody happy but I will try soon.

Rhinoceros commented on 2017-01-23 00:16

It looks like jabref.sh selects the latest version of java installed, rather than following the default, as set in archlinux-java. This can cause problems, because it selects the buggy version in my case [1]. I understand that jabref needs java 8, not java 7, but it might be worth following archlinux-java if a version 8 is selected, otherwise defaulting to one of the version 8s. Hard-coding the version seems wrong IMO.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/52625

danmc commented on 2016-12-15 15:57

The license has changed to MIT since version 3.6.

Bevan commented on 2016-07-16 09:23

@antony: This issue occured when there was already a "src" directory lying around from the last build.

I now changed the PKGBUILD to only extract from the JAR what is needed which solves this issue.

All comments