Package Details: rstudio-desktop-git 1.2.5019.r1893-1

Git Clone URL: (read-only, click to copy)
Package Base: rstudio-desktop-git
Description: A powerful and productive integrated development environment (IDE) for R programming language
Upstream URL:
Keywords: data IDE R science statistics
Licenses: AGPL3
Conflicts: rstudio-desktop, rstudio-desktop-bin, rstudio-desktop-preview
Provides: rstudio-desktop, rstudio-desktop-bin, rstudio-desktop-preview
Submitter: None
Maintainer: artemklevtsov (hwkiller, ConorIA, kngwyu)
Last Packager: hwkiller
Votes: 57
Popularity: 1.29
First Submitted: 2011-03-09 06:13
Last Updated: 2019-12-02 09:39

Latest Comments

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next › Last »

leonardof commented on 2020-01-16 21:03

Until the compiling is fixed, this should do it:

$ cd /
$ sudo ln -s usr/share share

hwkiller commented on 2020-01-16 06:03

Just an update on this: I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get it to work again to no avail. I tried everything I could think of. I cannot figure out what is causing the /usr/ part of the path to be dropped. Every time I thought I did, I was wrong. I also tried dropping a qt.conf with the correct prefixes next to the binary; that did not work.

So, until they fix this bug, I am unsure of what to do (aside from bundling the entirety of qt with it, which seems insane). Rstudio is becoming increasingly difficult to package, since they want to bundle both boost and qt with it. I think that is an insane thing to do, personally. Their scripts are somewhat dangerous, their cmake code is complex, and they don't seem to test their build process outside of the rpms/debs they build.

I will keep my eye on it, to see if any fixes come our way. A bug report has been filed already, and if anyone has any ideas, I will gladly try them.

In the mean time, I recommend two options:

1) Use rstudio-server-git. It still works just fine (I tested it). Once you install it, you just have to start the service via systemd, and login through your browser (e.g., localhost:8080 is the default, I think; maybe it's 80). Everything you can do it rstudio-desktop you can do in rstudio-server. It is the same codebase, minus qt-webengine. In fact, rstudio-desktop is just rstudio-server, but with no login support, and it includes a lightweight browser to view it in (hence: qt webengine).

2) Use emacs with ESS and polymode. I have migrated toward emacs over the past few months in part due to frustrations with rstudio. Nevertheless, rstudio-server does work fine, so I encourage people to use that for now.

Hecatombe72 commented on 2020-01-14 05:37

Like artemklevtsov and pgoetz, I cannot run the application correctly since December 23, that day qt5-webengine was updated to 5.14.0-1, but I don't get any error message. Today I deleted all the files in $HOME/.rstudio-desktop, $HOME/.config/Rstudio, $HOME/.config/rstudio, $HOME/.local/Rstudio and $HOME/.local/rstudio, and recompile with the same result.

artemklevtsov commented on 2020-01-08 05:37

Confirm this. Now applicaiton not works.

pgoetz commented on 2019-12-29 15:02

I can't get this version of rstudio-desktop to work properly on my fully updated Arch system. When I try to run it, the interface doesn't come up properly (no panes and can't open files) and I get this error message:

Qt WebEngine resources not found at /usr/lib/qt/libexec. Trying fallback directory... The application MAY NOT work.

Even though the package is properly installed:

[pgoetz@frog ~]$ pacman -Q qt5-webengine
qt5-webengine 5.14.0-1

Maybe this is another side effect of the upgrade from Qt 5.12 to Qt 5.14?

hwkiller commented on 2019-12-02 20:26

@pat-s, Thanks for the heads up. I updated the package last night with that fix (as well as rstudio-server-git).

@dviktor, because pandoc is part of their official build process (as far as I know), I include it. There's not really an incentive to move pandoc to optdepends. It may not be needed at runtime, but I try to stick as close to the upstream build process as we can. Perhaps other maintainers feel differently.

As for the versions, I updated some of the versions, but others are not necessarily worth updating. E.g., they tend to lag behind boost releases by a fair amount, and new boost versions often break the build. Is there a particular reason you want to specify version minimums?

pat-s commented on 2019-12-02 08:45

Mathjax dep needs to be fixed after the Mathjax v3.0 update. Maybe depending on mathjax2 from community does it for now. Probably rstudio does not yet work with the v3.0?

dviktor commented on 2019-11-28 16:26

Just rechecked dependencies on GitHub. They states that the following list should be satisfied:


Also it seems like pandoc is optional dependency and needed only for RMarkdown support so you can move it to optdepends

masca commented on 2019-10-07 12:34 does not pass the validity check.

pat-s commented on 2019-10-07 08:11

I see

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
  Could NOT find LibR (missing: LIBR_LIBRARIES)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.15/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  cmake/modules/FindLibR.cmake:207 (find_package_handle_standard_args)