Package Details: projectm-git 2584.70132f18e-1

Git Clone URL: (read-only, click to copy)
Package Base: projectm-git
Description: Music visualizer which uses 3D accelerated iterative image based rendering (git version)
Upstream URL:
Licenses: LGPL
Conflicts: projectm
Provides: projectm
Submitter: prg
Maintainer: prg
Last Packager: prg
Votes: 6
Popularity: 0.021012
First Submitted: 2017-09-22 17:39 (UTC)
Last Updated: 2023-10-05 19:41 (UTC)

Required by (16)

Sources (1)

Latest Comments

1 2 3 4 Next › Last »

prg commented on 2023-10-05 19:41 (UTC)

Thanks milesdm! You're right - the projectM repo now needs the submodules to be cloned before builds will succeed. I've applied your patch - thanks again!

milesdm commented on 2023-10-05 15:22 (UTC) (edited on 2023-10-05 15:23 (UTC) by milesdm)

Not sure if this is the "right" way to do this, as everything about how AUR works I learned this morning, but the following change to PKGBUILD corrected the issue for me.

< pkgver=2502.a6b4771ad
< pkgrel=3
> pkgver=2584.70132f18e
> pkgrel=1
> prepare() {
>   cd "${srcdir}/${_gitname}"
>   git submodule init
>   git submodule update
> }

milesdm commented on 2023-10-05 06:09 (UTC)

Hey prg,

I'm trying to build projectm-sdl2-git, and projectm-git is failing at vendor/projectm-eval. It looks like it was moved to a submodule 3 weeks ago. If I'm understanding correctly, we need an updated PKGBUILD that will grab the git submodules. I'd appreciate some help there, and I'll give it another shot.


prg commented on 2023-02-10 18:27 (UTC) (edited on 2023-02-10 18:51 (UTC) by prg)

UPDATE: I've updated the projectM SDL packages and they should be good to try. To try it out, install projectm-git, projectm-sdl2-git and projectm-presets-cream-of-the-crop. Then run something like:

projectMSDL --presetPath /usr/share/projectM/presets/cream-of-the-crop


the projectM overhaul in git is working really well in my local testing. you need to use these three repositories (projectM for the lib; frontend-sdl2 for SDL2 app; presets so it can run something besides the default projectM preset):

I'm going to overhaul these packages in AUR when I get a chance. Months ago when I was looking into this, there were some build issues in git, but those seem to have been resolved. But until then, these PKGBUILDs do NOT work and do NOT accurately reflect the current state of projectM git. If you are impatient, feel free to build it yourself or ping me with any contributions - I'm pretty busy

prg commented on 2022-10-14 17:18 (UTC)


I don't think it's completely fixed yet: the projectm_set_help_text function that frontend-sdl2 is calling is not present in the current projectm git:

I might patch out the help text for now just so we can have a working build in AUR, but it looks ultimately the projectm_set_help_text needs to be implemented somehwere

cyber commented on 2022-10-14 16:14 (UTC)

Discord link is on GitHub:

This error you see is being fixed, the API is being reworked for a 4.0 release. The commit should fix that issue

prg commented on 2022-10-14 14:22 (UTC)

Hey @Cyber; let me know if you have another discord invite or have any ideas for what I'm running into. I haven't uploaded my latest package scripts to AUR because i haven't got them to build yet, but I receive the same errors when attempting to build straight from git with cmake.

I can compile projectm-git just fine, but when attempting to compile frontend-sdl2 against projectm-git, I get some errors with projectm_set_help_text:

==> Starting build()...
-- SDL version: 2.24.1
-- Poco version: 1.12.1
-- projectM version: 3.99
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/user/projectm-sdl2-git/src/frontend-sdl2/build
Consolidate compiler generated dependencies of target projectMSDL
[ 11%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/projectMSDL.dir/ProjectMWrapper.cpp.o
/home/user/projectm-sdl2-git/src/frontend-sdl2/src/ProjectMWrapper.cpp: In member function ‘void ProjectMWrapper::SetHelpText()’:
/home/user/projectm-sdl2-git/src/frontend-sdl2/src/ProjectMWrapper.cpp:137:5: error: ‘projectm_set_help_text’ was not declared in this scope; did you mean ‘projectm_set_mesh_size’?
  137 |     projectm_set_help_text(_projectM, helpText.c_str());
      |     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |     projectm_set_mesh_size
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/projectMSDL.dir/build.make:132: src/CMakeFiles/projectMSDL.dir/ProjectMWrapper.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:98: src/CMakeFiles/projectMSDL.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:136: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().

Any ideas?

prg commented on 2022-04-08 13:57 (UTC)

Awesome - thanks for the heads up @cyber. I don't use Discord too frequently, but I will get on there at some point when I get a chance to troubleshoot some of these issues more

cyber commented on 2022-04-06 09:05 (UTC)

We're working towards a 4.0 stable release, dropping autotools, cleaning up the CMake builds, splitting the various components into separate repos, and introducing a new C-based API.

If you have any questions or concerns you are more than welcome to come chat with us on Discord and we can help with any build issues:

prg commented on 2022-04-06 04:09 (UTC) (edited on 2022-04-06 04:09 (UTC) by prg)

I've reorganized this into multiple packages, but I'm still having some issues getting it working. The latest known working revision of projectM git for me was 2240.99b55db61