Package Details: brave 0.18.36-2

Git Clone URL: (read-only)
Package Base: brave
Description: Web browser that blocks ads and trackers by default.
Upstream URL:
Keywords: browser muon web
Licenses: custom
Provides: brave-browser
Submitter: mischka
Maintainer: mischka (vorbote)
Last Packager: mischka
Votes: 36
Popularity: 1.136770
First Submitted: 2016-01-29 19:47
Last Updated: 2017-09-23 18:32

Dependencies (12)

Required by (0)

Sources (1)

Latest Comments

Chiruno commented on 2017-08-11 21:34

This package seems to be outdated.

ZioCroccante commented on 2017-06-05 14:38

Thanks for the clear answer.

vorbote commented on 2017-06-05 14:30


Can't be helped. It is a perfect storm of upstream changing library requirements to versions incompatible with npm 4.6.x. Thus, we need newer tools in Arch (will require a staging transition I think) and upstream to straighten out its act.

Patience. As you should be aware, brave is a browser in development and code quality is poor, not even alpha at some release milestones. That is, when it breaks you get to keep the pieces. Being brutally honest, if you are depending on it for something more than playing around at this stage, you are in trouble.

In the meantime, I'll fake the version to push the last working version.

vorbote commented on 2017-05-28 19:16

I just pushed 0.16.0 for your compiling and browsing pleasure. :-)

pseudoramble commented on 2017-05-28 16:41

Thanks @palopezv. I updated my comment to clarify what I was doing (which is not a good way to go). I've had a very simple script to do AUR package installations for a long time, and didn't realize some packages won't support the snapshot method anymore.

You should install cower, like I will :)

vorbote commented on 2017-05-28 13:32

I'll spell it out for you people:



@pseudoramble If you believe that is a true bug (that is, you did not use yaourt to compile the package), report it upstream. Thanks.

pseudoramble commented on 2017-05-28 13:11

EDIT: As @palopezv points out above, downloading the snapshot (or using Yaourt it seems) isn't supported for this. You _must_ use the git repo cloning method (or Cower) for this specific package. Some details can be found here: The first method (cloning the git repo) should work. The other ways will not without the hack I did below. You can also use brave-bin instead it seems. I've left my old comment just in case people are curious what I did.

I also had the same error is @mazzolino. I was able to resolve the issue with a tweak to the file ./tools/buildPackages.js on line 44 like this:

Before: BROWSER_LAPTOP_REV: require('git-rev-sync').long(),

After: BROWSER_LAPTOP_REV: 'unknown',

Then rebuild using makepkg -e from the package directory.

vorbote commented on 2017-05-25 21:27

Ahhh!!! Yaourt! DISCLAIMER: We are not responsible for any bodily harm you cause yourselves. From where I stand playing Blue Whale and using yaourt are the same thing. Use cower instead.

malfunc commented on 2017-05-25 21:20

I get the same error as mazzolino. Removing both directories didn't solve the issue for me.

vorbote commented on 2017-05-21 21:37

@mazzolino WFM. I suggest you purge both the npm cache and node-gyp rebuild directories ($HOME/.npm and $HOME/.node-gyp), after this build again while purging your build directory (makepkg -C).

All comments